Monday, February 20, 2012

First Day Back!

Today marks my first day back in my contract school - Townsville Primary School. Having served 9 months there as a contract teacher, everything was familiar and quickly fell back into place. My colleagues are still as welcoming as ever and I just felt so at home. I know that these 10 weeks are going to be hectic but with their support, I know I will 'blossom' (Dr Yeo, 2011).

First thing we did in the morning was attend assembly and today is "RESPECT", so basically teachers and students are encouraged to be dressed in purple. The character assembly was initiated last year and students enjoy it. This morning, we had the care classes perform a skit for the whole school. It was tremendous effort on their part as they acted out what they think respect means to them.

Next, we had a talk with the principal, Mr Ong and vice- principal, Ms Teh Wan. They prepped us for our 10 weeks as well as for the PGDE STs, our years ahead with them. Mr Ong related a story about how a simple act of kindness/love from a teacher could easily change the life of his/her students. I must always bear in mind the stories behind each and everyone of my kids and that I should not pass judgment too easily.

Shadowed my CT, Mdm Saleha, for the rest of the day. I will be taking 3 Honesty for the 10 weeks. The students are so bubbly and active. There is a child with autism in class, so I have to be more careful when speaking to the children. I walked around and managed to talk to a few students and they were pleasant. I also jotted down their names and wrote down their names.

Observations for the day:
  • Students are engaged in visually stimulating activities
  • To get the class to settle down, teacher uses command "1,2,3" and students response "SHHHHH"
  • To ask a question, students are required to raise their hands
  • Toilet - no pass was issued, students just walk out of class as they like (might have to clarify with CT)

No comments:

Post a Comment